Tuesday, May 16, 2017

We're just CLODs

Cruisers Living On Dirt - our whole lives, we've been CLODs.  This isn't the first time we've considered a live-aboard cruising life.  Back in 2005 we learned how to sail with the American Sailing Association and discovered that a 40' sailboat just wasn't big enough to hold our marriage together.

Then we discovered a class of ship called Cruising Trawlers - or rather, Jerry discovered them.  I was content to rent a boat whenever we wanted to go out.  Might be a canoe, or a deep sea head boat or anything in between.  Might have a captain or a guide or we might be bareboating.  

As he shared his growing vision, I learned with him; and feared all the things that can and do go wrong.  Then, after taking a hands-on course with Captain Bob's Trawler school, we rented Sandollars, a Mainship 390 for a few days.  

Plenty of room - very modern - and we even made a mistake that caused Sandollars engine to quit.  We were dead in the water!  We were also happily anchored in gorgeous weather and just a phone call away from meeting the friendly Sea Tow captain who brought us safely back to harbor.

We got through that with great humor.  So now that I'm convinced our marriage would survive and even thrive aboard Tanuki - the boat we've named, but we don't yet own, well I'm practicing living aboard.

I've started to put away things I don't use very often, especially in the kitchen - or galley, as the food prep area of a boat is known.  I've started planning and executing menus that will work well on a boat (not a lot of energy used cooking).  I've started really watching how much water I use to prepare foods and wash up afterward.  

After I finish reading "Storing Foods without Refrigeration" by Carolyn at TheBoatGalley.com, I'll start using those methods too.  There will be refrigeration on Tanuki - just not a lot of it.

We've met many cruisers.  By and large they are a fun group of people with a sense of adventure and an even bigger sense of humor.  As a CLOD, I can play Jimmy Buffet music in the background as I practice the live-aboard lifestyle as we search for the floating condo that will be named MV Tanuki.

Sam 

No comments:

Post a Comment